Bookshare.org is a nationwide provider of AIM materials people with print disabilities funded by a grant from the U.S. Dept of Education. Bookshare uses digital text versions of books that can be read by devices and displayed in a variety of formats.
GETTING BOOKSHARE MATERIALS
Educators and families have a variety of options for accessing Bookshare. Below is a chart from the Bookshare website providing information on who qualifies and examples of who can certify that someone qualifies.
USING BOOKSHARE MATERIALS
Free Bookshare Readers for computers
- Read:OutLoud 6 Version 2.1 Bookshare Edition by Don Johnston (PC and Mac)
- Victor Reader Soft Bookshare Edition by HumanWare (PC only)
- Acapela TTS Voices by Acapela Group (PC and Mac)
- AMIS DAISY Playback Software (PC only)
Portable Device Players
Portable DAISY Players (for readers with visual impairments)
- Victor Reader Stream from HumanWare
- Icon from Levelstar
- PlexTalk Pocket from Plextalk
- Book Port from APH (discontinued)
- Book Port Plus from APH
- BookCourier from Springer Design (discontinued)
Braille Notetakers and Displays (for readers with visual impairments)
- PAC Mate (with FS Reader) from Freedom Scientific
- BrailleNote and VoiceNote from HumanWare
- Braille Sense and Voice Sense from GW Micro
Portable DAISY Players (for readers with learning disabilities)
- ClassMate Reader from HumanWare
Scanning, Reading and Writing Software (for readers with visual impairments)
Scanning, Reading and Writing Software (for readers with learning disabilities)
Screen Readers (for readers with visual impairments)
MOBILE PHONES and TABLETS
DAISY Readers for the iPad, iPhone, iTouch
- Read2Go Read2Go is an accessible DAISY reader for the Apple device market. This very easy-to-use app for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch connects directly to Bookshare for immediate on-the-go reading. Individual users and schools supporting students can search, download, and read Bookshare books and periodicals and manage their books in a bookshelf. In addition, Read2Go reads DAISY 2.02 and 3.0 materials. You can purchase Read2Go from the Apple App store for $19.99.
Go Read for Android
- Go Read is fully accessible e-book reader for people with print disabilities. Optimized for visually-impaired readers and usable by anyone, Go Read allows you to download and listen to books on Android smartphones and tablets. Go Read is based on the open source FBReader project and is available for free. It was developed by Benetech, a nonprofit technology organization.
DAISY Readers for Mobile Phones
- Mobile Speak from Code Factory
To find out more information or get a membership check out the Bookshare.org website.